9 February 2014

ULF NORDFJELL

Ulf Nordfjell
Landscape Architect
Sweden
http://www.nordfjellcollection.se/ 

Swedish garden designer Ulf Nordfjell is one of my biggest design heroes. When describing his garden design style, he states:

 "...Swedish nature is always present in my design and I like to use natural materials, but the structure of my parks and gardens is always modern, with very strong design elements". 

For me the combination of clean, modern hard landscaping in materials like wood and stone combined with looser more naturalistic planting creates gardens that are beautiful, strong balanced and functional.

I will reference his work a lot when working on this current project. The garden design styles I have chosen (woodland/japanese/minimalist) will need careful consideration when getting the right balance of materials and landscaping. Nordfjell seems to always be conscious of not letting one element dominate the others and of leaving space where it is needed.