30 December 2013

VERULAMIUM MUSEUM VISIT

VERULAMIUM MUSEUM
ST ALBANS 

A small museum of Roman artifacts collected from the area surrounding St Albans. I have a bit of a thing (thanks to my graphics background) for museum displays and how objects are laid out and I made a few sketches of things that particularly caught my interest (see sketch book). 
I also love materials like clay, stone/flint, glass, wood, primitive metal (i.e roman coins) and textiles like woven fabric. All of these materials can be utilised in design, but are often shunned for more modern materials or high spec finishes unless you are viewing a 'cottage garden' type of design. I would like to incorporate old techniques and materials in modern design to create a sense of contrast and engage people more in the space.




some photos from my sisters phone to hopefully follow soon *note to self* remember camera......


MATERIALS OF INTEREST FROM ROMAN TIMES:

clay.


glass.





metal.